Robotic technology is an applied science that is referred to as a “combination of machine tools” and “computer applications”.
It includes such diverse fields as machine design, control theory, microelectronics, computer programming, artificial intelligence, human factors, and production theory.
“A robot is re-programmable, multi-functional manipulator designed to move material, parts, tools, or specialized devices through variable programmed motions for the performance of a variety of tasks.”
The word robot introduced by Czech playwright Karel Capek: robots are machines which resemble people but work tirelessly.
Robots are used in various areas:
- Surface finishing
- Aerospace and automotive industries
- Light assembly such as in the micro-electronics industries, or consumer products industries
- Inspection of parts (e.g., CMM
- Underwater and space exploration
- Hazardous waste remediation