Robotic technology is an applied science that is referred to as a “combination of machine tools” and “computer applications”.It includes such diverse fields as machine design, control theory, microelectronics, computer programming, artificial intelligence, human factors, and production theory.
“A robot is re-programmable, multi-functional manipulator designed to move material, parts, tools, or specialized devices through variable programmed motions for the performance of a variety of tasks.”
The word robot introduced by Czech playwright Karel Capek: robots are machines which resemble people but work tirelessly.
Robots are used in various areas:
- Surface finishing
- Aerospace and automotive industries
- Light assembly such as in the micro-electronics industries, or consumer products industries
- Inspection of parts (e.g., CMM)
- Underwater and space exploration
- Hazardous waste remediation